We are delighted to announce the foundation of the RMA LGBTQ Study Group, which will offer something of a UK equivalent to the AMS LGBTQ Study Group.
The aims of the study group are:
- To increase awareness in the UK Academy of the relationship between sexuality and music
- To promote contact and dialogue amongst music students & scholars working in LGBTQ studies
- To establish a forum for the presentation and dissemination of LGBTQ musicological research
- To publicise events which investigate music and sexuality in the UK and abroad
- To examine the process of coming out in, and being LGBTQ in, music academia in the UK
- To support and advise on LGBTQ music curricula in UK HE institutions.
To launch the group, we intend to hold a one-day event at promoted through existing RMA networks. This will provide an opportunity to bring scholars together in the first instance, establish links with those who would like to play an active role in the group, and from there determine what kind of activities the group would next promote.
Long-term, the aims of the group necessarily extend beyond any single musical repertoire or musicological methodology, and we would hope to see an RMA LGBTQ Study Group as a site for developing closer relationships with other musicological associations.
We are in the process of establishing a JISCmail list for the study group, but in the meantime if you would like to join the group’s mailing list, please email: